Does your job search have you feeling down? Don't give up! I've got 9 tips and tricks to stay inspired during a tough job search! Scroll to the bottom for a handy infographic to refer back to!
Searching for a new job (whether you are in a job or not) is a necessary evil.
You either need a job because you aren’t working or you need one because the one you are in isn’t working. The challenge is that it is a process of constantly putting yourself out there only to be rejected multiple times which makes it tough to keep up a positive attitude.
When you are out of a job, the stress and pressure mounts with each passing day. You find reasons to blame others for you not getting a job – a natural self-defense mechanism that unfortunately doesn’t really help.
Or you start beating yourself up and your self-confidence begins to plummet. What compounds matters is if you had a surprising lay off or termination, and honestly how many aren’t hurtful or surprising!
When you are in a job that you aren’t satisfied in, you start questioning whether this is even worth it! Maybe this job you hate isn’t so bad after all and you go back into stagnation mode because after all it is easier than constantly putting yourself out there. Besides the fact that the job search takes up time you just don’t really have!
It is easy to get into these negative thought patterns and even easier to stay there. What is harder is to break them. It is crucial to your success that you snap out of it.
It may seem hard right now but TRUST ME it is worth it in the end. Don’t forget the goal – to find a fulfilling career, a job that challenges you, an organization that values you and a work/life balance that brings you more freedom to enjoy life outside of the workplace!
In order to do that, you need to focus on staying inspired throughout the job search. You need a plan in place for what that job search looks like and you need a plan in place to enjoy things too.
You need to take care of your emotional and physical wellbeing so that you have the energy and confidence to wake up every day and put yourself out there.
If you aren’t working, you also need to make sure you get out of the house and connect with people. Isolating doesn’t help, no matter how introverted you are!
I know what you are thinking, Sara the last thing I need right now is more work! I get it. Most of the “Life Hacks” I’m going to suggest are easy. Most won’t take much time at all. In fact some will save you time! And others will give you more energy to put into the search.
Here is my list of 9 tips and tricks that you can do RIGHT NOW that will keep you inspired to stay positive and to keep at the job search!
STAY INSPIRED BY BEING HEALTHY:
1. Get 7-9 hours of sleep every night to give you energy.
2. Move Your Body. Every. Single. Day. Improve your mood, reduce stress, increase your energy!
3. Eat a balanced diet. Junk food doesn’t leave you feeling your best am I right?
STAY INSPIRED BY BEING PREPARED
4. Write a Foundational Resume and Cover Letter. These are so easy to tweak and will save you hours in your job search.
5. Plan your week by booking Job Search Time in your calendar. 1-2 hours/day MAX. Don’t forget to book in Networking!
6. ENGAGE with people! Do your job search at a coffee shop, go to networking events or career fairs. Get out of the house!
STAY INSPIRED BY BEING HAPPY
7. Start a Gratitude Practice – what 3 things are you thankful for each day.
8. Find Joy. Every. Single. Day. Do something you LOVE. Bake a cake, garden, go for a hike, anything!
9. Focus on YOU. Think about all the great things you have accomplished and done and all the great things you bring table. Give yourself a high five, every day!
Feeling really at the end of your rope with the job search and want a Pep Talk? That's what I'm here for! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to chat and we'll figure out ways to get out of this rut!
Sara Curto helps people find a career they love by teaching them a new way to job search.
Save Your job search masterclass
Click HERE to watch